While learning English, your dictionary is the most important tool you need.
It is important to buy a dictionary for your level of English. If you are a low-level speaker, get a learner’s dictionary. If you are intermediate or higher, get an advanced dictionary. You can also buy a business English dictionary if that is what you are studying.
Look for these important things before you buy a dictionary:
• The word that you are looking up should NOT be not used in the definition.
• Are there example sentences to show you how the word is used?
• Do you see the different forms (noun, verb, adjective, adverb…) for each word?
• Is there a pronunciation key?
We recommend having 2 dictionaries, a small one for your pocket or handbag, and a more detailed one for your desk. Keep your small dictionary with you. That way, when you hear or see a new word, you can look that word up immediately.
Write a new word in your vocabulary book straight away! It is also smart to write the different forms of the word (noun, adjective, adverb…). For example: speak (v), speaker (n), spoken (adj)
This all takes effort, but you will see the results!
Study Tips. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.
- Vocabulary Lesson: imply v. infer
- Grammar Lesson – making suggestions
- Office expressions – Part 2
- Speaking lesson: interjections
- Office expressions – Part 1
- Grammar lesson – ‘as (adjective) as ever’ v. ‘as usual’
- Grammar – too v. very
- Phrasal verbs with TELL
- Vocabulary Lesson = stale v. spoiled
- Phrasal verbs with THROW
- Accent (2)
- Body Language (1)
- Business English (1)
- Canada (3)
- English Exams (2)
- English Expressions (17)
- English SMS Messaging (1)
- English Tongue Twisters (2)
- English-speaking Culture (1)
- ESL news (2)
- Grammar (59)
- Online English Resources (2)
- Phrasal Verbs (33)
- Point of View (15)
- PR (1)
- Pronunciation (1)
- Punctuation (2)
- Skills (1)
- Slang (27)
- Speaking (1)
- Spelling (4)
- Study Tips (10)
- the Philippines (1)
- Vocabulary (79)